About the Alaska Democratic Party
The National Democratic Party is one of two major and around a dozen smaller political parties in the United States. The party's members are voters nationwide that identify with and support the basic principles of the party. Individual candidates, voters, and elected officials may all have different viewpoints on any given issue, but in modern times Democrats have always stood for an economy that benefits all Americans as well as equality and civil rights.
The Democratic Party is organized into a national committee, a state committee in each state, and numerous regional committees. The Alaska Democratic Party (ADP) embodies the explicit and distinct ideals of Alaskans. ADP has representation on the Democratic National Committee where we are on an equal footing with the other 49 states.
Our state and local committees serve two primary functions: they elect delegates that represent them at higher levels by voting on officers and policies, and they work locally to help get Democrats elected to office at all levels.
The Alaska Democratic Party has a long, proud history in Alaska which predates statehood. Today over 75,000 Alaskans are registered members of the Alaska Democratic Party.
Alaska voters can choose a party when they register to vote. Democratic candidates for office are chosen by registered Democratic voters in the party primary elections, held in August of even-numbered years. Only registered Democrats can run in the Democratic primary election.
The Alaska Democratic Party has its main office at 2602 Fairbanks Street in Anchorage, Alaska, though during election years we usually open other regional offices in close and constant guidance by our regional party representatives.
The state party performs many functions, all ultimately designed to help Democrats win elected offices.
- We organize to recruit citizens to go door to door for the party, our issues and our candidates.
- We coordinate state-wide campaigns for the general elections every two years, and we help recruit volunteers for dozens of local campaigns.
- We work to get articles into the newspaper, letters to the editor, and callers on talk radio stations.
- We operate this web site and assist regional Democratic committees around Alaska.
- We send out email announcements to interested Democrats about party activities, volunteer opportunities, and events. (Sign up at the top of this page!)
- We operate our own state Voter File, used by candidates to contact voters in their districts.